Molecules and their interaction relevant to Biology
CSIR means Council of Scientific Industry and Research. NET means National Entrance Test. UGC means University grant commission.
This unit part has the study material on Basic chemistry, Biomolecules, Metabolic studies, Enzymology and Protein conformation.
Unit 1 Syllabus
- Structure of atoms, molecules, and chemical bonds.
- Composition, structure, and function of biomolecules (carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids, and vitamins).
- Stabilizing interactions (Van der Waals, electrostatic, hydrogen bonding, hydrophobic interaction, etc.).
- Principles of biophysical chemistry (pH, buffer, reaction kinetics, thermodynamics, colligative properties).
- Bioenergetics, Glycolysis, oxidative phosphorylation, coupled reaction, group transfer, biological energy transducers.
- Principles of catalysis, enzymes and enzyme kinetics, enzyme regulation, mechanism of enzyme catalysis, isozymes.
- The confirmation of proteins (Ramachandran plot, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structure; domains; motif and folds).
- The conformation of nucleic acids (A-, B-, Z-, DNA), t-RNA, micro-RNA.
- Stability of protein and nucleic acid structures.
- Metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids metabolism, amino acids, nucleotides and vitamins.
This is the complete topic wise study material on Unit 1: MOLECULES AND THEIR INTERACTION RELEVANT TO BIOLOGY.